Friday, February 15, 2008

Modesty Survey

Many of you may already read the Rebelution Blog by Brett and Alex Harris... I was taking a peek again today and saw that the Modesty Survey is complete. It's FASCINATING! They presented hundreds of questions to guys and then calculated the results... Anyway, I won't explain it very well... So check it out for yourselves! My favorite is the Open Questions part....

3 comments:

erin said...

Okay, I'm gonna step out on a limb here. :)

I have to say, I saw this a couple months ago and it kind of bothered me. I most definitely know I have a responsibility to be modest and I desire to be modest, humble, and God-focused in my dress and even more, in my heart. But this (to me) hammered away at women, making it seem like men have no responsibility of their own and should freely analyze women's dress. I just found it weird that guys were thinking of every part of a woman's body, clothes, attitude, etc. and critiquing away! I felt a little uncomfortable.

Did you feel that way at all, Katie? I guess I see the objective, but it was all a bit odd to me. Hope you don't mind me saying so on your blog. Seriously, you can delete this one if you want! :)

Katie Virginia Battaglia said...

Oh Erin, I don't mind at all that you commented your thoughts. I won't delete them!!!

I think what's most important is what you said, "I most definitely know I have a responsibility to be modest and I desire to be modest, humble, and God-focused in my dress and even more, in my heart"

I didn't really find it offensive or uncomfortable. For me, I thought it interesting because I've always wondered about some of those particular modesty questions and what guys really thought... not just what the pastors and their wives think. You know? and it was cool seeing that some things I was taught were "immodest" a majority of guys say is no big deal.

They do say state several times throughout and even on the open questions page that they guys are not off the hook and are responsible for their own thoughts and actions. I thought they were very gracious and humble in their statements and only have the desire to serve fellow brothers and sisters in Christ. I didn't think they were hammering at women.

anyway, thanks for sharing and I hope I made sense!! :)

erin said...

Oh you're so right! I hadn't seen the "open questions" part where the guys take more responsibility. I think the first thing I clicked on had a question referring to the manor in which a woman applies her lip gloss and a 13 yr old said something to the effect of "Be careful, ladies, sometimes it makes me think about kissing you". Oh dear, I'm laughing out loud, I just got a kick out of that because you know, you have to choose what you're going to think about, I don't know how I can control that and um, yeah, sometimes I gotta put on the chapstick, so uh, I guess I'll try and be more careful?! I'm just being silly, not trying to be disrespectful. :)

And I have miles to go on being more humble and open to input on this issue. As if that didn't show from the fact that I just couldn't move on without commenting in the first place! :)

Thanks, girl!